* To preserve the nutrients and colors in veggies, cook them quickly by steaming, stir-frying or make sambols like Karavila sambol and carrot sambol.
* Use Coconut oil, Olive oil or Canola oil for stir frying. Avoid oils containing high levels of unhealthy saturated fat such as Palm oil.
* Use coconut milk sparingly on curries and try adding low fat cows milk or corn flour mixed in cold water for thickness.
* When cooking meat and poultry remove the skin and the fat before cooking.
* Use lean ground meat or drain the excess fat after cooking.
* Try going vegetarian at least few days a week.
* Use more lime juice and less salt on salads and sambols.